In recent years, consumers across the globe have become increasingly concerned about animal welfare standards and have called on companies to improve those standards. Quesada recognizes the importance of animal welfare, and we’re proud to join leading Canadian companies in adopting the Better Chicken Commitment. The Better Chicken Commitment is the leading set of standards for the welfare of broiler chickens.
Banning broiler cages, providing enriched environments
By 2024, our goal is to meet the following standards for 100% of our chickens:
- Maximum stocking density of 30 kg per square meter, and the prohibition of broiler cages.
- Provide birds with enriched environments including litter, lighting, and enrichment that meets Global Animal Partnership’s standards.
- Process chickens in a manner that avoids pre-stun handling and instead utilizes a multi-step controlled-atmosphere processing system that induces an irreversible stun.
- Demonstrate compliance with all standards via third-party auditing.
Sourcing chickens certified by animal welfare organizations
By 2026, our goal to is to adopt breeds that demonstrate higher welfare outcomes, either: Hubbard JA757, 787, 957, 987, or Norfolk Black; Rambler Ranger, Ranger Classic, or Ranger Gold; or others that meet the criteria of the RSPCA Broiler Breed Welfare Assessment Protocol or Global Animal Partnership (GAP).
“As we continue to serve more Canadians every day, Quesada is committed to working with our suppliers in this important step towards improving animal welfare in Canada,”
– Steve Gill, Quesada Founder and CEO.